Saturday, December 18, 2004

Oh d-d-d-d-dear ...

Just as Piglet would say to Pooh "Oh d-d-d-d-d-dear"
Tonight is my hubby's work party. It's a mostly-formal event we attend every year. We get to eat good food, I get a Lladro bell (I'm guessing this year it's this one: LladrĂ³ Catalogue). If we get one again, it will be 6th bell ... it's almost like a true collection! LOL! After dinner is dancing - there is always a live band there, some year 2 of them! The bar is open, it's a grand time. Excpet we have to mingle and talk to people.
I hate that part. I hate smiling and shaking hands, kissing the right people on the cheak at the right moment. I have to tell them all how wonderful life is, how grand the children are, and don't dare slip up and complain about hubby's hours or talk about how much the kids miss him because they make him work too much!
It's all just grand. If I didn't have to talk to anyone, I'd be okay! Some years we get seated with BIG important costumers. At least we won't have to do that this year. Those are the worst. One year, as I was in the ladies room, washing my hands, someone commented about my lovely dress. I replied back thank you and in the back of my mind I wanted to say "too bad I don't want to be here" (in my defense my dd had just gotten out of the hospital days prior from a 5 day stay and I had just been through a miscarriage). Fortunately I didn't - I made idle chit-chat about how pretty her dress was and wasn't it nice to get out and be all dressed up, blah, blah, blah. As we exited the bathroom, we discovered our husbands chatting. I was then officially introduced to a MAJOR customer and his lovely wife. Good thing I knew enough to not complain to her! LOL!
Anyway, I'm sure once I get there I will enjoy myself. I will just have a small anxiety attack on the drive there as I anticipate talking to everyone and worry about the weather (it's snowing right now. It's supposed to be snowing until like 2 am here. Great. I just love this sort of weather. Well, I do love it, as long as I don't have to drive an hour in it. Although it will probably be longer tonight because of the weather!
Oh joy. Can't wait for tonight to be over! I mean, really, I can't wait for tonight to be over! LOL!

On the plus side, one of our presents arrived today .. a membership to the local kids museum. Just what we asked for so I'm happy! I can't wait to take the kids there. Not only that, but the pass gets us into a bunch of other area things, so it will be a present that we use over and over and over and over and over! Yeah!! Graham and pop rock! LOL! =)

No comments: