Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving day, a day we are supposed to reflect and think about all the things we are thankful for.
Despite all the whining I do on this board, I am really quite thankful for many things.
A husband who loves me dearly and also loves our children dearly
Three children who are kind of caring, and of course brilliant and gorgeous!
Good health for everyone in my family - granted we get our very fair share of viruses and sicknesses, but let's face it: a stomach virus is nothing compared to hearing one of my children has cancer. I'll take the little colds and viruses anyday.
That we don't have to pick between food and medicine, or food and shelter, or that none of our needs go unfulfilled.
For family and friends who are there to help out when I need some help - even if it just means taking one (or all) of the children for a little while.
That my dh has a pretty secure job - no threat of strikes, or lay-offs, or downsizing or anything like that.

Along with those things, I am thankful that we are in a position to splurge here and there, that I can spoil my children without going into debt, that we have 2 working cars, both in pretty decent shape, that I can go shopping and pick up a few things that have caught my eye if I so desire, I am thankful that we have the ability to not only have what we need, but also to get some of our wants as well!
I'm grateful that I get to stay home with my children, that I don't have to work to provide for them. I am thankful that if I ever decided I wanted to work, my dh would support me in that choice.
I am glad I have family near-by. I am glad my children are close to most of their grandparents (but a bit sad I can't say all of them), that my children know their great-grandparents and are pretty close to them.

I am even thankful for the internet, where I feel connected to so many people around the world through their blogs, through message boards, through e-mail. I am thankful that I have friends who challenge me to think about things deeply, that I have some friends who make me laugh and smile, that I have other friends who I can cry with and moan about life with, and that I have friends period.

I have a lot to be thankful for. It's good to remember that - I should remember that more often instead of whining and complaining for that "more" I always want (but probably once I got it, I would want even more still).
But I'm glad despite that flaw, and certainly many many more, there are people who love me, who care about me, and who like me even still! And that makes me pretty darn lucky I think.

No comments: