Sunday, August 13, 2006

Yet another crazy scheme!

So today, I kind of out of the blue, told dh I'd like to run a 3K race at the end of August.
"Yeah. Okay." He said - obviously this is not hte first time I have just told him something out of the blue that would make anyone else go "Really? Why would you want to do that? You are nuts! No way can you do that!"
So we'll see what happens with that. I am actually pretty sure I can not run in the race I want to run in, as I have a bridal shower later that same day that is far away. But I think if maybe I can pull it off I will try!
So, today I went to the track by our house. It wasn't pretty. Not one little bit.
I am embarrassed to say it, but I will anyway. I run roughly .39 miles. Then I walked about the same bit. And then I ran about .2 miles, and then I walked until I hit 1.5 miles total. And when I ran that last bit, everything was burning and I couldn't breathe too well.
So, yeah, like I said not pretty.
I have since come home and gotten some links to read (thanks wendy!) and realized I should have warmed up by walking first, then tried to move into running. But oh well, what's done is down.
I also read today when first starting to run, one shouldn't run more 2 days back to back. Who would have thought? Not me! I would have figured it would be better to run each day, but apparently it's not! Anyway, now I feel on a mission. I've never run before. I can tell you the last time I ran a mile was for high school gym class my junior year of high school? So not anytime recently. But I am going to work on it and see what I can do.
Prior to today, I would have never started. I would have assumed in the end I would have failed and so why bother even starting. Of course that meant I never did do anything too terribly tough becuase I never attempted to do anything hard which only made me believe that I couldn't do it. Afterall, there is not a lot of cofidence to be gained when you look back and have pretty much almost no accomplishments. But it's misleading. If I had tried a few things, maybe I would have achieved. but I never even tried. Pretty sad.
I don't want my kids to grow up like that. I want them to have confidence and not be afraid to try new things. And this is the kind of thing I think is best taught by example. So an example I will be. I will try. I will do my best. I may not run the race (can't miss the shower) but I will try to do it and we'll see what happens. I won't run it to be the first to finish. I won't run it to try to break any time records. I will run it to prove to myself that I am strong person who does not have to live afraid of failure and afraid to try. And I will show my kids that really, if they put their minds to it, they can essentially do anything!
Anyway, wish me luck and I shall try to keep progress posted! =)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Good for you!!

It took me a little more than 4 months to work up to it, but I am finally able to run (a little more than) 2 miles, pretty much every day.

It crosses my mind every now and then that I should set running a 5K as a goal, but I don't think I will ever actually do it.