Sunday, August 06, 2006

Woo-hoo!

It is too good to be true. Over the course of the last week - I have planned out my entire school year! Okay, not my school year, but the year for my 6 year old (who will tell you that she is going to be 7 soon and therefor almost grown up!).
So I have all my yearly goals and I have them broken down into month goals. During the next week, I will plan out our first month in detail - which will be easy, because for the first month we only go for 2 weeks. I also work on the unit studies for the second month as well. It feels so good to have it planned and things in line for the moment.
I will admit, it's not perfect. Some of the language arts is a little sketchy. I don't have a curriculum for it - I have guidelines for it, so I know what she needs to know by the end of the year, so I'm kind of winging it. And by winging it, I mean not using a set curriculum from a publisher and doing what they say to do, but pulling my own resources and creating a curriculum from several different sources. We will be keeping a close eye on it though so in case that doesn't seem to work for us, I will start researching curriculums later in fall.
The other up in the air thing is starting history now or not. I think I would like to dabble in it with her for now but not sure how to dabble in it. I know what curriculum I would like to do with her but I'm not sure if now is the time to start it. It is not a common first grade curriculum, but I don't want that to hold me back. However, I have filled our schedule with the other subjects. I think what we will do is take a few breaks from other studies during the year to do short history jaunts. That will be a good compromise I think. Glad I just thought of it LOL!!

No comments: