Monday, January 29, 2007

The show must go on ...

So today we had oldest daughter take a huge nap, suck on cough drops/throat lozenges, drink warm tea with honey - which was quickly switched to warmed lemonaide-flavored crystal light with honey.
Then as we got closer to show time, it was a dose of tylenol and a dose of cough medicine.
This was all because drama teacher said bring her to the play if at all possible.
I think she mostly made it tonight because of the long nap she took. I do not thing she was healthy, but she went anyway. The teacher said the other kids in the show are exposed to more germs every week at Sunday school or the grocery store or trips to the library and basically said don't worry about germs. So, if you were there tonight and your child gets sick - do NOT blame me! Ha!
In the end, my dd was very happy she made it. She has worked hard on her play and her choir stuff. I am secretly glad she made it, but just wished it hadn't been under these circumstances. Overall, she did really well too, but *I could tell she wasn't up to her normal self.

I wish I could look back and say all the illness our house has fought has taught me a lesson. That I can look back and know the reason for it. Some people have the ability to turn every situation - good and bad - into fabulous life lessons.
I do not have that talent. All I know is that all this illness has left me quite crabby, quite rundown and quite tired of illness. I hate the few people out there that gasp "Your kids are sick again" with that look that says obviously I must be a inferior mother and my children must be inferior children because of it. I am also sick of the people who say "Oh, your kids are sick again" as their eyes light up, they drool slightly, and they are pulling out pamphlets and start marketing the all healthy cleaning supplies I can get only from them for a merely the cost of my normal monthly gorcery bill and that will make all my kids healthy again! I will say however, there have been plenty of people who simply look at me with lots of kindness and offer up hopes and prayers for healthy little people in our home and I do appreciate it very much.

Maybe someday I will look back and there will be some higher meaning to all of it. For now, I feel very worn-out. Which is not good for the family - my children or my husband or on a more selfish note - for me!

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I am hoping this last round just might be it for us.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh Brandie what a nusiance this month has been for you!! I will keep you guys in our prayers. It can become wearing on you since you are the primary caregiver. YOU make sure you are taking your Echinacea!! The other thing I find helpful is L-lysine. I think you can buy it at any health food store, though I buy it at Trader Joes. I take 2 about every 3 hours with 1000 mg Vit C when I feel like I am coming down with something. It also helps with mouth injuries and cold sores. I love the stuff!!

Thank you so much for the thoughts and good wishes!! I am so relieved to say the least.