Friday, April 28, 2006

Mini-vent ...

Well, maybe it's not a mini, but it's a vent.
My aunt has 4 kids, now her oldest is 15 so not a problem there, then there is 9, 6, 3. Well I have a 6 and 3 myself. And her 6 and 3 and my 6 adn 3 like to play together - following along so far?
Anyway, we watch each other's children if we can. She'll call and ask if I can watch her kids for something and I'll do the same thing. Which is great. It's nice to have someone to call and do that with.
So, now here's the vent ... it's a bit one-sided these days. I have extra children A LOT. She's in the process of moving. And I totally get that. And I'm so glad I can help her out - becuase it's not fun packing with a bunch of kids running around. And for the most part, when the kids are here they are well behaved. But yet at the same time, part of me wants to say NO! Keep your kids home for the next two weeks. I need a break. I need a cool-off period. Then start calling me. Which, probably in two weeks she'll be all moved and then I will be watching them less.
Well, here's part two of the vent. Now that gp's are home. She'll call and talk to the grandma about the kids coming over. Grandma will say yes, then ask me ...
Now, it makes sense she talks to grandma (it's her mom afterall LOL!) and of course grandma wants to help (it's her daughter and grandkids afterall) but let's face it. I have like 75% of the actual watching of the kids duties ...
I guess my point is, I don't really mind watching her kids in the big picture of things. Yet, at the same time I need to vent a little so that next time she asks, I do NOT look at her and say NO! I can't do it anymore!
It's just that her 9 year old plays a lot of sports. She likes to leave the younger two here if she can. And it sometimes feels like I'm running a daycare. Seriously, if I were charging hourly, I'd have a lot more spending money these days!
I guess really I feel conflicted. I want to help. I like when she watches my kids. But I'd like a little break from her kids (heck, at this point I'd like a day off from my kids LOL!!).
But in the end, I'll keep on saying yes when she asks. My kids will have fun playing with her kids. And I'll survive ... although you might hear my grumble under my breath from time to time ...

No comments: